Messages are the templates that are used to display the desired text in email notifications, survey invitations, and text messages. View, add, or edit message content by clicking 'Settings' on the navigation panel and selecting 'Messages'. Several default messages are provided by First Light, which can be edited as desired. Additional messages can be created here as well, please see the video at the end of this article for a walkthrough.
To view an existing Message: After navigating to 'Messages', you can filter by the message 'Event Type' (i.e. Class - Student Registered, Survey - Invitation) by clicking the drop down menu in the top left corner or you can search for a key word in the message's name or subject by clicking the search icon in the top right corner.
Once you've found the message you'd like to view or edit, click anywhere in the row of the message and you will then be directed to the SUMMARY tab for this message. Note that each message consists of the three tabs (see below for overview of each tab). You can navigate to the various tabs by clicking on them near the top of the page.
- Summary: View general information about the message. Click 'EDIT DETAILS' to rename the message. Click 'REMOVE TEMPLATE' to delete the message.
- Content: View and/or edit the subject line or body of the message. To edit the subject line, Click the ellipse (3 vertically arranged dots) located on the right side of the message subject text box, and select 'edit subject'. To edit the content of the body of the message, click the ellipse located in the top right corner of the 'message content' text box and select 'EDIT ITEM'. When finished editing the subject or body or the message be sure to click the blue check mark (located in top right corner of text box) to save the changes made to the text box. Finally, click the Save button located on the far right of the page to save your changes to the template. Please see video below on creating a new Message template for demonstration of how to add or edit content. Many existing message templates will also contain Data Tokens, likewhich will automatically populate with the first name of the case. Please see Data Tokens 101 for more details.
- Calculations. Create calculations that can be used to hide or show blocks of content within the message template. Please see Message Calculations for more details.
To create a new Message: Click Settings and then select 'Messages' on the navigation menu. Next, click the + NEW button. You will then be presented with a list options of the types of messages templates that can be created. Since messages are sent under different circumstances, the data tokens that are available will differ as well. Consequently, message template types must be selected when creating a new message. The current message template types are listed below with a brief explanation:
- Case - Created: For sending new cases information or registration instructions.
- Case - Updated: Used to notify cases or staff of updates like status changes.
- Class - Cancelled: Used for calendar updates, not for student or staff notifications.
- Class - Reminder: For reminders sent to cases before a class.
- Class - Student Absent: Used to notify case or staff of absence .
- Class - Student Attended: Used to notify case or staff of attendance.
- Class - Student Cancelled: For notification of case or staff of class cancellation.
- Class - Student Registered by Self or Staff: For notification of registration.
- Class - Student Removed by Self or Staff: Used for notification of removal
- Survey - Invitation: For sending a survey invitation.
- Survey - Reminder: For reminders sent to students to complete a survey.
- Survey - Submitted: For messages triggered for delivery after a survey is completed.
- User - Created: When a new user is added to the organization.
- User - Password Reset: When a password is reset for a user.
Please see video below that demonstrates how to create a new message template, including how to add your desired subject line and message body.